cool links

Friday, June 23, 2006


FANAA and Narmada


Well, there is now one more illustration now which says how corupt our democracy is.. how crippled it has become. Perhaps, the title is suggestive enough of what I am going to write about. I am of course, talking of the BJPs denial of allowing Aamir-Kajol starrer “FANAA” to release in Gujarat.
I, ofcourse, am not equipped enough to comment on what is right and what is not. And I even confess I am not much aware of what exactly is happening in Narmada Bachao Andolan. But, I am writing what I have seen in the course of events. What I infer from media reports is that excess water from the Narmada Dam is flowing through villages and some 30,000-36,000 villagers have lost their houses, their fields and their livelihood.
Of course, crores of people are profiting from the Narmada dam, but at the cost of the lives of those villagers. And this is definitely not right. Their rehabilitation is a must and about a month back, the Hon’ble Supreme Court issued orders for rehabilitation to be completed in 3 months.
Now, I come to Aamir Khan. He is famous star with the air of a perfectionist acting. He has raised the issue that they should be rehabilitated and it should be seen that all the villagers get their rights. His stand is pretty clear. Its not against anybody or any party. Its against injustice meted out on those innocent denizens of the village.
Now, BJP has found a new way of shutting his mouth. By disallowing FANAA to release in Gujarat. And they will allow it only when Khan apologizes. I wonder what they see wrong in his stand. I mean I don’t know Indian politics but am aware that injustice is rampant and something should be done wherever it is meted out. Already, we see our WONDERFUL government (the UPA - Congress) are already with a bill to implement 27 per cent reservations for OBC and reduce the standards of education and now this.
How corrupt the system has become.. I know it is easy to sit and comment rather we must do something.. But, if the constitution itself binds citizens in such a way, perhaps, its dictatorship. I know my words could portray my amateurish thinking, but well, that is what I feel about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home